Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fun in Asheville and at Virginia Beach with Lois and family members


Willie Lois Miller was a very beautiful child. She had dreamy eyes. I do not think she was much of a dreamer though, as she always seemed to have funny jokes to tell. She and all of her brothers and her eldest sister were bright intelligent children and had a love of learning. She is shown here with her brother Locke Craig Miller.

I like the following photo of Lois and Locke that I got from my cousins'daughter.
I think she was as pretty as a movie star. She became a teacher, which seemed to be the only occupation open for most young women of that day. Lois was born in 1896 and she married Alan Herbert Jenkins in July of 1925, when she was 28 and 1/2 years old. Alan was 4 years her junior, but he did not look younger. They had two children at the time my mom came to live in their house.
The following photo is Undine Virginia Hare, who married Lois' brother Stephen Hubert Miller. Undine and Stephen Hubert (who was at that time known as Hubert) eloped,in September of 1930. They then came to live with Lois and Alan and their two children, Alan Jr., aged 4 and Marilyn, aged 2.

I think this is Hubert in the following photo, with his niece Marilyn and his nephew Alan Jr, at any rate I know it is Hubert's 1927 Dodge Roadster.
The census taken on April 3, 1930, shows Alan and Lois along with their two children living at 407 Riverview Drive in West Asheville. The Millers' always seemed to like West Asheville. Lois Dad and family members had previously lived on Oakwood Street in West Asheville.
Undine and Hubert rented a room from Alan and Lois at the house on Riverview Drive. Both Undine and Hubert declared Lois' and Alans' house was haunted. They would hear someone open and close the front door and they would hear footsteps coming up the stairs. When they went to investigate, no one was there. Undine said sometimes she would see a pair of green eyes looking at her. Hubert was working at the Fire Department with Alan and they were frequently gone nights. There was a rocking chair in Undine and Huberts' room and it would rock sometimes at night.
Undine was afraid of the "Ghost" so she would pay 4 year old Jr. a nickel to sleep in her room.


I have a photo of Stephen "Steve" Miller and William "Bill" Jenkins,when they were babies taken in 1933, but I do not know where I put it. At any rate by early 1942 I know that Lois and Alan and their 4 children were living at Virginia Beach. We moved to Virginia Beach. By then they had two more children. Bill, who was 8 or 9, and Ronnie who was 6. Steve was the same age as Bill, and Sallie was a year younger than Ronnie and then there was sister Mary, who had just turned 3.
Alan had been made the chief of the FD there and Hubert went to work with him. The cousins played at the beach almost every day. Marilyn, was about 14 at that time and she was very pretty, and Jr. was a life guard at the beach.
The photo below shows Lois and her two oldest children Alan Jr. and Marilyn.

I like this photo of Lois in her bathing suit probably before the 1940's . She was said to have "Bette Davis " eyes. The original Bette Davis Eyes Girl.The photo shown below is Alan Jr. with his surf board, which he used in his life guard duties and also for recreational surfing, I would guess. I believe he was about 15 or 16 at the time.


Here is Undine with her three children at the beach, Sallie is trying on someone's robe, Steve is resting Lois (with the big pretty eyes) is behind Sallie, and Undine is sitting beside Lois. Little Mary is peeping around at everyone. Mary and Lois looked as if they could be Mother and Daughter. A little boy is seen looking at the family, he is probably Ron or Bill wishing that Steve would get up and play.
Little Mary and big sister Sallie on Sea-tack Road at Virginia Beach.

Sallie, Mary and Steve at the beach cottage they lived in at Virginia Beach.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great photos. I am David Swank grandson of Marilyn Louise Jenkins. I have always wondered about my relatives from Virginia. Now I have a little better idea. Thank you soooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had more of their history David. Marilyn insisted she wanted to pull my loose tooth with a string tied to the doorknob back in the day, I know that Marilyn liked Frank Sinatra, a teen idol when she was a young teen. I always liked her very much. She gave me many of her hand me down clothes and they were usually very pretty. She is a grandmother to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete