
I started thinking about family heroes that I have come across while doing family tree research. If you come from a very very, very large pre revolutionary war family you find so many unknown heroes with legends on their graves which indicate that they received medals and awards in our country's wars. When I am back in North Carolina I always haunt the cemetery's.
I know that all of the Morgan's in Buncombe County are descended from two brothers, James Morgan and Perminter Morgan. My grandmother was Lillian Morgan
and she always talked about her relatives.
Well Robert Knight Morgan was the Captain of The Memphis Belle.
I know that all of the Morgan's in Buncombe County are descended from two brothers, James Morgan and Perminter Morgan. My grandmother was Lillian Morgan
and she always talked about her relatives.
Well Robert Knight Morgan was the Captain of The Memphis Belle.
(Named after his sweet heart). I always knew he was a distant cousin, but I was not 9 when WW2 ended so I did not pay much attention. There were so many heroes.
Recently when I was visiting a family grave yard, at Morgan Hill Baptist Church in Weaverville, NC..(near Asheville).So many of my relatives are buried there, and I found a grave that I could not account for. It was listed as Jack Morgan, and I had no Jack Morgan on my family file..On a whim I took a photo of his gravestone.
I checked with Ancestry and found...
Name: Jack Morgan Gender: Male Race: White Marital Status: Married Social Security Number: 239267056 Father's Last Name: Fisher Age: 71 Date of Birth: 28 Jun 1921 Residence County: Buncombe Residence State: North Carolina Date of Death: 3 Apr 1993 Death County: Buncombe Death State: North Carolina Autopsy: No institution: Veterans Hospital Attendant: Physician Burial Location: Burial in state Source Vendor: NC Department of Health. North Carolina Deaths, 1993-96 ack Morgan, born 28, June 1921 was adopted by his grandfather, John Breckenridge Morgan 111
I found this information on Ancestry.
He was a great grandson of my great half uncle Joseph Henry Fisher and my first cousin (three times removed) John Breckinridge Morgan.
The reason I mention these people is that there are so many forgotten heroes that did not gain much fame in this life, but we owe them..
I passed Jack Morgan's grave many times without noticing..and recently decided to find out who he was. His rather famous cousin
Robert Knight Morgan received many more accolades than he, but Jack Morgan was a hero too.
Recently when I was visiting a family grave yard, at Morgan Hill Baptist Church in Weaverville, NC..(near Asheville).So many of my relatives are buried there, and I found a grave that I could not account for. It was listed as Jack Morgan, and I had no Jack Morgan on my family file..On a whim I took a photo of his gravestone.
I checked with Ancestry and found...
Name: Jack Morgan Gender: Male Race: White Marital Status: Married Social Security Number: 239267056 Father's Last Name: Fisher Age: 71 Date of Birth: 28 Jun 1921 Residence County: Buncombe Residence State: North Carolina Date of Death: 3 Apr 1993 Death County: Buncombe Death State: North Carolina Autopsy: No institution: Veterans Hospital Attendant: Physician Burial Location: Burial in state Source Vendor: NC Department of Health. North Carolina Deaths, 1993-96 ack Morgan, born 28, June 1921 was adopted by his grandfather, John Breckenridge Morgan 111
I found this information on Ancestry.
He was a great grandson of my great half uncle Joseph Henry Fisher and my first cousin (three times removed) John Breckinridge Morgan.
The reason I mention these people is that there are so many forgotten heroes that did not gain much fame in this life, but we owe them..
I passed Jack Morgan's grave many times without noticing..and recently decided to find out who he was. His rather famous cousin
Robert Knight Morgan received many more accolades than he, but Jack Morgan was a hero too.
Sallie-such an interesting post! So glad you discovered who he was and how he was related to you. The name grabbed my attention-because I know a Jack Morgan!
ReplyDelete